How do I apply for Discretionary Housing Payment?

Calculator icon Discretionary Housing Payment (DHP) is a way of helping you if the amount of Housing Benefit or housing costs in your Universal Credit you get is not enough to pay your rent.

They are short-term payments to help people with their rent if they are experiencing financial hardship. DHPs can be awarded as a one-off payment or as a series of payments.

DHPs are not Housing Benefit, however, to receive a DHP you must be receiving some Housing Benefit or Universal Credit which includes an amount for housing costs.

To make a claim you must fill in and complete a Discretionary Housing Payment Application form and advise why you are unable to pay your rent. Click here to learn how to make your claim.

You can download this helpful factsheet on Discretionary Housnig Payment:

Discretionary-Housing-Payment-v2-June-2022[pdf] 133KB

Which documents do I need to make a Discretionary Housing Payment claim?

When completing your Discretionary Housing Payment form, you need to:

  • Include ALL your income and expenditure
  • Provide details on your circumstances, include information such as, have you registered to move, or have you seen anyone to sort out any debt issues?
  • Include as much detail as possible on why you can’t meet the rent payments

Please return your form direct to:  Revenues and Benefits, Bolton Council, PO Box 4, Town Hall, Bolton, BL1 1YZ.

What if my Discretionary Housing Payment is refused?

If you don’t agree with the decision on your Discretionary Housing Payment claim, you can ask Bolton Council to review it again. They will review it if:

  • They have refused your award, or
  • They have awarded a reduced amount, or
  • They advised they overpaid you

You need to contact Bolton Council on 01204 333333 if you want them to review your claim.

We can also look at your application and advise whether you have grounds to review this. If you do have grounds then we can assist you.

Please call our Money Advice Team ( on 01204 328000 if you need support.