Universal Credit

Decorative image reading 'Getting ready for Universal Credit'. Universal Credit was introduced by the Government to replace six existing benefits with a single payment.

It's paid monthly in arrears direct to your bank/building society account, which can take up to 5 weeks for your first payment.

Universal Credit will replace the following six benefits for all new claims:

  • Income Support,
  • Income-based Jobseekers Allowance
  • Income-related Employment & Support Allowance
  • Working Tax Credit,
  • Child Tax Credit
  • and Housing Benefit

Click here if you'd like more information on Universal Credit.

If you do not have enough to live on while you wait for your first UC payment you can ask for an advance payment after you’ve made a claim.  You can apply for an advance payment in your online account or through your Jobcentre Plus work coach:

Click here for more information on how to ask for an advance payment.
Click here to visit your online account to apply for an advance payment.

Making your Universal Credit Claim

Decorative image displaying a 'warning' (!) symbol. Universal Credit is claimed and managed online by GOV.UK - so you'll need to click here to make an online Universal Credit claim. As well as applying online you will also need to attend an interview at your local Jobcentre Plus.

You need the following information to make your claim:

  • Valid email address / account
  • Mobile phone number
  • National Insurance number
  • A bank or building society account (in your own name)
  • Your Tenancy Agreement
  • Details of your savings or other capital
  • Details of any income that’s not from work (e.g. from an insurance plan)
  • Details of any other benefits you’re getting
  • Photo ID e.g. driving licence

You will also need these details for people who live in your home, e.g. your partner.

If you don’t have any of the information listed above, please contact Jobcentre Plus on 0800 328 5644 for help and advice on making an online claim.

The line is open Monday to Friday 8am to 6pm.

How will I receive my Universal Credit payments?

Decorative image of a calculator icon To receive Universal Credit you will need your own bank or building society account. Post Office accounts are not acceptable and you can not use anyone else's account to receive your payments (unless you are making a joint claim).

Click here for more information about bank accounts.

You will be paid as follows:

  • Monthly in arrears into a bank account of your choice
  • If you get help with your rent (previously housing benefit), the housing payment will be included in your monthly UC payment so you will need to pay your rent to us directly.
  • If you live with your partner and you are both eligible, you will get one monthly joint payment
  • Other adults living in the same household who are claiming Universal Credit will be paid separately.

If you do not have a bank account, please contact our Money Advice Team on 01204 328000, or email moneyadviceteam@boltonathome.org.uk and we can help set one up for you.

I need help with my Universal Credit Claim

Decorative image displaying a computer keyboard with the word 'Help!' on a key. If you need help completing your Online Universal Credit claim please contact our Money Advice Team on 01204 328000. If you'd like to learn more about how our Money Advice Team can help, click here.

Our team can also help with appeals if you don't think your decision is right.

Click for Universal Credit FAQs

Have more questions on Universal Credit? Click here for our Universal Credit FAQs.

The really important bit

You can get help paying for your rent if you’re eligible for Universal Credit. You can find out if you're eligible for Universal Credit by clicking here.

This is called your housing payment, and it replaces the old housing benefit.

This housing payment is paid directly to you and not us.

This means that you’re responsible for paying your rent. In some cases this is a big change.

Many customers have found that paying their rent by Direct Debit or Standing Order helps them budget better.

Our Income Management Team can help set these up. Click here to find out more on setting up a Direct Debit or Standing Order, or give us a call on 01204 328000.

Need help and advice?

If you're struggling to pay your rent or arrears, please contact us:

Call: 01204 328000 

Email: income.management@boltonathome.org.uk so we can assist you.