Discretionary Council Tax Reduction Scheme - how to apply
Discretionary Council Tax Reduction Scheme Payment (DCTRS) is a way of helping you if the amount of Council Tax Support you get is not enough to pay your Council Tax.
You can apply for a Council Tax Reduction Payment via the Discretionary Housing Payment (DHP) process which is a short-term payment to help people with their rent / Council Tax if they are experiencing financial hardship. They can be awarded as a one-off payment or as a series of payments.
What to do if your Discretionary Housing Payment is refused
If you don’t agree with the decision on your Discretionary Housing Payment claim, you can ask Bolton Council to review it again. They will review it if:
- They have refused your award, or
- They have awarded a reduced amount, or
- They advised they overpaid you
You need to contact Bolton Council on 01204 333333 if you want them to review your claim.
We can look at your application and advise whether you have grounds to review this. If you do have grounds then we can assist you. Ring our Money Advice Team on 01204 329868 if you need support.
Documents you need to make a Discretionary Housing Payment claim
When completing your Discretionary Housing Payment form, you need to:
- Include ALL your income and expenditure
- Provide details on your circumstances, include information such as, have you registered to move, or have you seen anyone to sort out any debt issues?
- Include as much detail as possible on why you can’t meet the rent payments
Please return your form direct to: Revenues and Benefits, Bolton Council, PO Box 4, Town Hall, Bolton, BL1 1YZ.