Council Tax Support - how to apply

council tax support

Council Tax is a local taxation system on domestic properties. It is set and collected by local authorities.

Council Tax Support helps people to manage their Council Tax bills if they are on a low income.  This will be shown on your bill as a reduction.

For full details or to make an online claim please contact

You can download this fact sheet on Council Tax Support:

Council Tax Support - Fact Sheet - V1 0417.pdf [pdf] 100KB

What if I don't get enough Council Tax Support?

If your Council Tax Support claim is approved but you do not get enough to pay your council tax, you can apply for financial help via the Discretionary Council Tax Reduction Scheme (DCTRS).

Click here for more information.

What to do if your Council Tax Support Claim is refused

If your Council Tax Support claim has been refused or you disagree with the decision, you must contact Bolton Council straight away.  You can ask them to:

  • Explain it again
  • Look at the decision again. This is called a reconsider.
  • Of you can appeal to an independent tribunal to look at the decision

We can look at your application and advise whether you have grounds to appeal against this. If you do have grounds then we can assist you.  Ring our Money Advice Team on 01204 329868 if you need support.

Help with your Council Tax Support Claim


If you need help completing your Council Tax Support claim please contact our Money Advice Team on 01204 329868.

Documents you need to make a Council Tax Support Claim

fillilng out forms

Once you have applied for Council Tax Support, you will be asked to supply evidence to support your application. Original documents must be sent within 1 month otherwise your claim may not be awarded.   If this isn't possible, for example, because you are ill, you should ask for the one month period to be extended.

If you can't answer all the questions on a form or provide all the evidence you're asked for, you can put down 'information/evidence to follow'.

Click here for information that will be accepted