Housing benefit - how to apply
Housing Benefit can pay for part or all of your rent, this depends on your income and circumstances.
For full details and eligibility, please contact Bolton Council.
You need to apply online to make your Housing Benefit claim, click here to make your claim.
If you have problems completing your application, you can call into The Town Hall One Stop Shop, Victoria Square, Bolton, BL1 1RU or ring the Council on 01204 333333.
You can download this helpful fact sheet on Housing Benefit:
What if I don't get enough Housing Benefit?
You can download this helpful fact sheet on Discretionary Housing Payment:
What to do if your Housing Benefit Claim is refused
If your Housing Benefit claim is refused and you feel that the decision is wrong, you can contact Bolton Council and:
- Ask them to explain it
- Ask them to look at the decision again. This is called a reconsider.
- Appeal to an independent tribunal to look at the decision
You need to contact Bolton Council on 01204 331590 within one month of the date on the decision letter .
We can look at your application and advise whether you have grounds to appeal against this. If you do have grounds then we can assist you. Ring our Money Advice Team on 01204 329868 if you need support.
Documents you need to make a Housing Benefit claim
When making a Housing Benefit claim, you will need to provide the following:
- Proof of identification, i.e. a document showing your name and current address.
- Proof of all income coming into your household – i.e. earnings, benefits, pensions and any other income.
- Anyone over the age of 18yrs who lives at your address will also be required to provide proof of their income
- Current bank account statement
- Proof of all savings
- Details of household family members
- All relevant documents must show your current address.