Housing benefit - how to apply

image of housing benefit claimYou could get Housing Benefit (HB) to help you pay your rent if you’re on a low income. HB was replaced by Universal Credit in 2018 - which means you will need to pay your rent direct to us.

Housing Benefit can pay for part or all of your rent, this depends on your income and circumstances.

For full details and eligibility, please contact Bolton Council.

You also can download this helpful fact sheet on Housing Benefit if you'd like to keep the information on this page handy: Housing-benefit-Fact-sheet-v2-June-2022[pdf] 182KB

If you have problems completing your application, you can call into The Town Hall One Stop Shop, Victoria Square, Bolton, BL1 1RU or ring the Council on 01204 333333.

What documents do I need to make a Housing Benefit claim?

When making a Housing Benefit claim, you will need to provide the following:

  • Proof of identification, i.e. a document showing your name and current address
  • Proof of all income coming into your household – i.e. earnings, benefits, pensions and any other income
  • Anyone over the age of 18yrs who lives at your address will also be required to provide proof of their income
  • Current bank account statement
  • Proof of all savings
  • Details of household family members
  • All relevant documents must show your current address.

What if I don't get enough Housing Benefit?

If your Housing Benefit claim is approved but you do not get enough to pay your rent, you can apply for a Discretionary Housing Payment (DHP). Click here for more information.

You can download this helpful fact sheet on Discretionary Housing Payment:

Discretionary-Housing-Payment-v2-June-2022[pdf] 133KB

What do I do if my Housing Benefit claim is refused?

If your Housing Benefit claim is refused and you feel that the decision is wrong, you can contact Bolton Council and:

  • Ask them to explain it
  • Ask them to look at the decision again- this is called a reconsider
  • Appeal to an independent tribunal to look at the decision

You need to contact Bolton Council on 01204 331590 within one month of the date on the decision letter.

You can download a reconsider claim form here.

We can look at your application and advise whether you have grounds to appeal against this. If you do have grounds then we can assist you.

Please call our Money Advice Team on 01204 328000 if you need support.

Housing benefit you need to apply...

You need to apply online to make your Housing Benefit claim.

Click here to go to the Bolton Council website and make your claim.