Moving in tips
We know there is a lot to do and think about when you move into your new home. Here are some tips to help you through it.
- Redirect post to your new address. Stray letters can increase the risk of ID fraud. Royal Mail has a postal redirection service. Charges apply.
- Legally, you can’t open or throw away previous tenants’ post. Simply write ‘return to sender’ on the envelope and pop it back in the post box.
- Register with local doctors, dentists and vets if you have pets.
- Make sure you are claiming all your benefits, or phone our Money Advice Team for help.
- Register and set up a water bill.
- Shop around for cheaper utility bills. You will receive an energy welcome pack to help you.
- Shop around for the cheapest phone and broadband providers.
- Contact Bolton Council to check your Council Tax and any support you may be entitled to.
- Report any repairs within the first two weeks to your repairs liaison officer.
- Find the water stop valve so you can quickly turn off if necessary.
- Find out when bin day is and ensure you recycle your rubbish.
- Keep up to date with what’s going on by following Bolton at Home on Facebook and Twitter.
- Register to vote on the electoral role. This also improves your credit rating.