Service charges and ground rent
You can view our Insurance summary of cover for leasehold properties from 01 April 2021 to 31 March 2022:
Leasehold properties summary of cover.pdf[pdf] 198KB
Ground rent is specified in your lease and is a rental paid to us every year. You will receive a separate invoice for your ground rent.
A service charge is a payment you make towards the costs of providing and maintaining services for the block you live in. Service charges are payable by all leaseholders annually.
You must pay your share of the costs of managing and maintaining your block. This is a legal duty set out in your lease. If you do not pay your share, you are breaking your lease agreement and we could apply to the First Tier Tribunal and/or to the courts for payment. In these circumstances, you could lose your home. We may also forward any arrears to a collection agency.
Service charges are a key consideration in taking on a lease and are part and parcel of becoming a leaseholder.
We will always be fair about service charges. We will explain how they are calculated, and you can challenge any charges you do not agree with. If you have financial problems, we may be able to make other arrangements to help you pay your service charges.
The service charge will vary depending on where you live and covers services such as:
- day-to-day and emergency repairs to the block
- buildings insurance
- paths and access
- roof repairs or re-roofing
- structural repairs
- door entry systems
- electrical re-wiring of shared areas
- grounds maintenance
- management fee
- TV aerial
What if I don’t think my bill is correct?
Should you wish to dispute or query the whole or part of your service charge please contact us on 01204 328000.
Making sure you get a good service
Do not forget that the cost of repairs will normally be shared between you, Bolton at Home and other leaseholders in your block.
If the job is not done properly please let us know by contacting us on 01204 328000.
Finding it hard to pay
If you are struggling to pay your service charges or ground rent please contact us straight away. We can help you by:
- Find the right payment method
- Setting up affordable repayment plans to pay arrears
- Check you are claiming all the benefits you are entitled to (even if you are working)
- Reduce your other household bills, gas, electric and water
- Manage your finances and deal with any debts you may have
- Supporting you back into training or employment
Please contact us if you wish to access this service.
What will happen if you don’t pay?
If you don’t pay your service charges or ground rent, we will contact you to ask why. If non-payment continues we can consider the following options:
- Referral to a Collection Agency
- Contacting your Mortgage Lender
- First Tier Tribunal (Property Chamber)
- Losing your home by forfeiture or repossession
- Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) including Mediation & Arbitration
For further information on service charges please visit https://www.lease-advice.org/