Leasehold repairs

Reporting a repair

Call us on 01204 328000.

We are responsible for certain repairs to the building.

The table below shows who is usually responsible for which type of repair. If you are unsure, please refer to your lease.

Type of repair


Bolton at Home

Internal decoration, including the flooring, interior doors, carpets and paintwork



Interior faces of external walls, internal walls and the internal ceiling including plasterwork



Window glass



Any pathways, gardens and fences which have been designated to the leaseholder in their Lease



Internal plumbing and wiring including leaks



All walls, drains, pipes, cables and wires belonging solely to the property



Window frames and handles



Shared windows



Exterior walls



Roofs and chimney stacks






Rainwater pipes and gutters



External waste and soil pipes



Sewers and drains



Mains gas, and water pipes and electricity cables into the flat



Communal lifts & staircases



External painting to your flat and block



Decoration of internal and external communal areas



Loft space



You will have to contribute to your share of costs of any repairs completed in the communal areas of your block. We will provide this information on an annual basis as part of your service charge estimate.


What to do when you have a leak from another property

If you experience a leak from another flat in the building then you should please contact us on 01204 328000.

We will investigate the incident and take the appropriate action to stop the leak.

If the leak is coming from a tenant’s flat we will arrange for a repair to be carried out. If the leak is coming from another leaseholder’s flat then we will contact the other leaseholder for them to carry out the necessary repairs.


Gas safety

Every year, thousands of people across the UK are diagnosed with carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning, caused by unsafe central heating systems, gas cookers and gas fires. Keep safe in your home with these gas safety tips:

  • Make sure only a Gas Safe registered engineer works on your gas appliances. Illegal gas fitters can put your life at risk.
  • Always check the engineer’s Gas Safe Register ID card.
  • Make sure gas appliances have a regular service and a gas safety check every 12 months.
  • Know the signs and symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning – headaches, dizziness, breathlessness, nausea, collapse and loss of consciousness.
  • Install a carbon monoxide alarm.
  • If you smell gas, call the gas emergency number 0800 111 999.

As a leaseholder, you are responsible for the maintenance of all gas appliances in your home. They should be checked every 12 months by a GAS SAFE registered engineer.


Subletting your home – important gas safety implications

If you sub-let your home, you are responsible for the landlord’s duties arising under the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998. This means that you are legally responsible for making sure your gas appliances, pipe work and flues are safe and well maintained. You must also arrange for an annual gas safety check by a Gas Safe registered engineer and ensure that your sub-tenant is given a copy of the annual gas safety check record (CP12). You must provide a copy of the CP12 to new sub tenants before they move in to the property.

Failure to meet these requirements can lead to criminal prosecution, resulting in a large fine or possibly even imprisonment.

For more information on gas safety you can contact the Health and Safety Executive’s information hotline on 0800 300363 or visit

Alternatively you can contact Gas Safe Register on 0800 408 5500 or visit


Fire safety

To ensure your safety, We provide fire precautions within all our blocks.

This includes measures such as:

  • The provision of communal fire doors. Please note leaseholders are responsible for ensuring their flat entrance fire door and/ or internal fire doors are maintained.
  • Fire safety signage, to ensure your visitors know what to do if they need to escape.
  • Automatic smoke detection in the communal areas of your block (where applicable).

We do not provide fire extinguishers in communal areas of blocks.

Please ensure you have smoke detectors in your property and they are tested regularly.  

Always remember

  • Fire doors are important – they stop smoke and fire from spreading. Always report any damage to communal doors.
  • Never wedge open any fire door inside your flat or in the communal areas of your block.
  • Keep all escape routes in your home and in the communal areas clear of storage and obstructions.
  • Never store contained gases in your home, storage cupboard or garage.
  • Only use the rooms in your property for the purpose they are intended.
  • Don’t overload plug sockets.

Flammable substances

You must not keep any contained gas ie. liquid petroleum gas, Calor gas (BBQ gas) etc or explosive substances in your home or communal area (including storage rooms/cupboards, balcony, garage, garden shed).

If you require medical gases, for example, oxygen please inform us.