Your home

The 'Your home' area of our website contains helpful advice and information on some of the services we offer in relation to your home. 

You can also report a repair by clicking here.

Keeping you and your home safe

Visit our Building safety hub for the latest from us on keeping you and your home safe.

You can download handy guides, documentation, and advice on topics such as fire safety, asbestos, and improvement works- and we've also included a series of short animated films covering the same/similar themes.

Click here to visit our Building safety hub.

Find out more about Home Contents Insurance

As your landlord, we insure the structure and fittings of your home and you are responsible for insuring all your contents and personal belongings.

It’s a good idea to take out contents insurance to cover your personal belongings against flood, fire, theft and accidental damage.

If something happens to destroy or damage your belongings, it can cost a lot of money to replace these items, some of which may be essential.

Click here to find out more about Home Contents Insurance.

We can help you stay independent in your own home

Image of woman stood next to adapted shower

We provide help and guidance with disabled facilities, grants and adaptations. We aim to enable customers to continue to live independently in their own homes by providing equipment and making modifications that meet their needs.

We can help anyone living in Bolton at Home properties or private housing (owners or tenants). Grants are available towards the cost of providing specific major adaptations for private sector customers.

Click here to find out how we can help you continue to live independently in your own home.

Smell gas?

If you smell gas, think you have a gas leak, or are worried that fumes containing carbon monoxide are escaping from a gas appliance, please call the free Gas Emergency Services line immediately on 0800 111 999, which is open 24 hours a day.