Using our service

How can you use our service?

You can contact us regarding any insurance matters relating to Bolton at Home.

Please ensure that details of all insurance claims involving Bolton at Home are forwarded to us urgently.

You can also consult with us when, for example, you are taking on work in new service areas (particularly if you are a service manager).

Most staff are already aware of our TP claims. Plus, remember to send any solicitor correspondence to us directly.

How can you contact us?

Please contact us by e-mail at

How can our tenants use the service?

Tenants can make insurance claims by using the TP insurance form or by contacting a solicitor for injury related claims if they wish to do so.


Information for solicitors : 
Insurance Claims handlers are Aviva
Organisation number – C00074

Any queries should be directed to:

Mark Gregory
Insurance and Risk Manager
Bolton At Home
98 Waters Meeting Road

Tel: 01204 328011

3rd party insurance claims

For 3rd party claims, please fill in this form and return either by email or to the below postal address. 

bh-third-party-form.pdf[pdf] 217KB

Insurance and Risk 
Bolton at Home
98 Waters Meeting Road