Information about the fire in Little Hulton and advice
There was a large fire overnight in a warehouse in Little Hulton (Thursday 15 November), which has affected the area.
The fire was put out at 6.30am and the fire service continue to dampen the building down.
The building is understood to contain low level asbestos material and it is possible ash or debris from the building may have been deposited in surrounding residential areas and over the vicinity.
However, Public Health England have said that there is no significant health concern.
Please follow this Public Health England advice:
- If you find ash or debris from the fire on your property, you are advised to leave it alone. If there is evidence of debris in your garden avoid disturbing the material, for example do not mow the lawn until it has been cleared up and removed.
- If it is absolutely necessary for you to remove debris yourself, first dampen down the debris using water, then either gently flush away small particles to the drain or, wearing protective gloves to prevent scratches, pick up larger pieces carefully and place them within two plastic bags, one within the other (double bag), seal and dispose of at Raikes Lane Household Waste and Recycling Centre (ID is required).
- Do not sweep up or vacuum ash or debris as this could contain airborne dust.
If you experience any symptoms such as difficulty in breathing, watery eyes or a cough as a result of the fire please contact your GP or NHS 111 as appropriate.