Managing money better
Paying your rent and service charges on time benefits all Bolton at Home customers as having to collect missed payments takes resources away from the other services we provide.
If you find you are having difficulty paying your rent, please contact us as soon as possible. Our staff are fully trained to provide help and advice at what could be a stressful time.
We’ll help you avoid rent arrears wherever possible and will ensure we:
- Explain your rent account clearly
- Advise you on any entitlements to welfare and housing benefits
- Help you complete housing benefit claim forms
- Refer you, if you have debt problems, to specialist advice such as the Citizens Advice Bureau and Welfare Rights
If you do fall behind with your rent, even by a week, then we’ll:
- Write to you explaining what you need to do
- Contact you again if the rent remains unpaid
- Try to find a satisfactory agreement with you to repay any arrears, taking into account your income and expenditure
Basic bank accounts
This is for managing day-to-day money. It doesn't usually allow you to go overdrawn by more than £10, if at all. A full list of banks offering these types of accounts can be found at http://www.moneymadeclear.fsa.gov.uk/ as well as loads of other really useful information, tools and calculators to help you manage you money.
For more information:
Visit or call your local neighbourhood housing office
Phone: 01204 335395
4, The Courtyard
Bolton, BL1 8PB
There is also a service www.boltonsmoneyskills.org.uk
which provides free information, debt advice and training to give you the money skills, knowledge and confidence to help you take control of your finances and improve your money skills.
For further information, you can download the "Money matters" chapter from your tenant handbook here.
If you require this document in any other format, including an alternative language, braille, audio, large print or translation please phone 01204 335531.