Whether you’re a Bolton at Home tenant or have purchased your home under the “right to buy” scheme, you have a responsibility to maintain your garden to a reasonable standard.
This standard forms part of your tenancy agreement.
The minimum standards state that:
- All garden areas should be kept tidy and free of litter and rubbish, particularly where this poses a fire risk
- Grassed areas should be kept at a reasonable height and weeds should be kept under control
- Paths and access routes should be kept clear
- Permission is required before putting up boundary structures or fencing
- Permission is required before pruning, cutting down and planting of trees or shrubs
- Ponds can not be installed (and if you do install one you’ll be asked to fill it in at your own expense)
To help you keep your garden and outside areas maintained we can offer advice with:
- Street works
- Environmental events and clean up days
- Garden clubs and tool pools
- Groundwork Trust garden schemes
How to maintain your garden leaflet