Deciding which repairs to carry out first
Emergency repairs take priority. These are typically dealt with within hours of your call to us and always within 24 hours. The emergency repair may only be a temporary one to make the situation safe. Then we’ll arrange a permanent repair as soon as possible afterwards.
Emergency repairs are needed if your life, health or property is at serious imminent risk. Some examples of what we class as an emergency repair include:
- No heating or hot water (no hot water, will only be classified as an emergency in exceptional circumstances e.g. illness, infirmity, aged or if children are present)
- No lights or power
- A burst pipe or tank
- Locked out or locked in (you may be charged)
- Unsafe building e.g. leaning chimney stack
- Blocked sewer or toilet (where there is only one toilet in the property)
- Rain entering the property
- Taps stuck full on (where water cannot be turned off at the stop tap)
- Property insecure e.g. broken window or damaged door following an accident or incident
You can report an emergency repair on: 01204 338200.
Urgent repairs are dealt with within 7 calendar days of being reported or as follow-up work after an emergency. These are situations which are causing you major discomfort or inconvenience but which are not a threat to your health or safety.
Some examples are:
- Damaged wash hand basin, bath or toilet cistern
- Shattered single glazing to door or window
- Leaking radiator, tank, hot water cylinder or pipe work
- Faulty gas fire, boiler or heater (gas leaks must be reported immediately to us or to the National Gas Emergency number: 0800 111 999)
- Unsafe floor, ceiling or wall
- Faulty or broken door entry systems
An inspection visit may be required before an urgent repair is ordered. We’ll let you know when this inspection visit will be carried out at the time of your call.
Minor non urgent repairs are usually dealt with by the community based repairs service (CBRO) within seven working days of being reported. Examples of these repairs include a dripping tap or a broken hinge on a kitchen unit.
Roofing repairs to loose slates or tiles, lead flashings and flat roofs are carried out within 21 working days of being reported.
Essential repairs are typically larger non-urgent repairs which cannot be dealt with by the CBRO service, but are serious enough that we can’t wait until the a planned programme within your area. Examples include renewing the front door or wash basin. This work is carried out within 21 working days of being reported.
Building debris incurred as a result of an accident or incident, or following work we’ve carried out, will be removed within three working days, and within 24 hours if classed as hazardous. If debris hasn’t been removed within these timescales, you can call our debris hotline: 01204 660665 (24 hour).
Annual maintenance is carried out every year on our properties. We ask you to co-operate with us and give us access to your property when we request it to ensure your home is kept safe and your life is not put at undue risk. Examples of the work we carry out as part of our regular annual maintenance schedule include:
- Servicing of heating systems and consequent follow-up work
- Testing and maintaining smoke alarms
- Servicing lifts
- Servicing solid fuel appliances
- Servicing shared water tanks