Follow these steps to help prevent the risk of fire in your home.
- Keep matches away from children.
- Avoid using chip pans and never leave them unattended.
- Do not dry clothes around fires, heaters or cookers.
- Do not block vents or grills on heaters.
- Close doors at night.
- Do not prop fire doors open.
- Check smoke detectors are working regularly.
- Do not overload plug sockets.
- Unplug electrical appliances when not in use.
- Do not block exits or escape routes.
- Extinguish cigarettes properly and empty ash trays regularly.
- Do not keep inflammable or explosive substances in your home.
- Any work that affects your gas supply or appliances must be carried out by a qualified engineer registered with Gas Safe.