Domestic abuse

Domestic abuse can include all kinds of physical, sexual, emotional and financial abuse within any relationship. Abuse can be carried out by women against men, men against women, in same sex relationships and by family members.

If you are our tenant or live in one of our homes and are a victim of domestic abuse then we’ll support you in a non-judgmental and sensitive manner.  If the perpetrator is a tenant or lives in one of our homes we can also help you. All information received about your situation will be managed confidentially and priority will be given to your wishes and safety at all times. We have two well-trained officers who specialise in domestic abuse who can provide the following: risk assessment, safety planning, referral for specialist services and support, housing support and additional security measures

If you commit an act of domestic abuse then you are a breach of your tenancy agreement and we’ll take appropriate action.

If you are a tenant of a private landlord or own your own home, then you should report instances of domestic violence to the police.

If you are one of our employees or sub contractors and are a victim of domestic abuse you can contact our service.

Help with domestic abuse

For further information, email us at:

There are also a number of agencies who can provide help and support:

Call: 999 (for emergencies) or 101

Bolton Council Children’s Services / Adult Services Emergency Duty Team
Call: 01204 337777 between 6pm and 9am
Call: 01204 333333 at other times

Women’s Aid
Women's Aid is the key national charity working to end domestic violence against women and children. We support a network of over 300 dedicated specialist domestic violence services across the UK. 
Click here to visit the Women's Aid website.

Women’s Aid: The Survivor's Handbook
This is available in 11 other languages and audio version.  
Click here to view the Women's Aid Survivors Handbook.

Call: 116 123 (24 hours)

Childline (helpline for children in trouble or danger)
Call: 0800 1111 (24 hours)

Counselling Directory (a confidential service helping people search for additional support)

National Domestic Violence Helpline (England)
Call: 0808 2000 247 (24 hours)

Victim and witness support
Call: 01204 399736 (10am-4pm, Monday-Friday)

Women’s domestic violence helpline (Manchester)
Call: 0161 636 7525 (10am-4pm, Monday-Friday)

There are also lots of other useful numbers on the Greater Manchester Police website.

Women's Aid Survivor's Handbook

Bengali  Gujerati  Greek  Arabic  Polish  Chinese  Punjabi    Turkish  Urdu  Somali  Spanish

Report domestic abuse

In an emergency always call 999.

There are six ways you can report domestic abuse to us:

  1. Call us on 01204 329636 or 329871 .
  2. Call, out of normal office hours on 0800 915 9228 (freephone from a landline)
    Mon - Fri 5pm – and Sat and Sun 24hours.
  3. In person by visiting your local neighbourhood housing office.
  4. Write to: Bolton at Home, Neighbourhood Safety Team, 98 Waters Meeting Road, Bolton, BL1 8SW
  5. Contact our officers via our Facebook or Twitter page. (These are only monitored within office hours).
  6. Or use the form below.
Click here to report domestic abuse online

You tell us

"Thank you for helping me, I feel I have had no one to help in my family and you’ve done so much to help me."

You tell us

"I’m not looking forward to court but you have made me feel a lot better helping me."  

Our policy

Our domestic abuse policy will give you more information on the service we will provide if you report domestic abuse to us. It informs the way our domestic abuse team works. 

Domestic abuse policy[pdf] 321KB

You tell us

"I got the injunction I needed. I really appreciate the help you gave me and just talking helped me massively so thankyou. I'm on a volunteer course now and enjoying my freedom and single life with no stress."